Saturday, March 5, 2011

Smoked Cider release

Tonight we had our smoked cider release, which also coincided with our six month anniversary.
The idea for a smoked cider came innocently enough, but like some of my ideas (like starting a cider bar) it actually took hold and I obsessed about it.  I have yet to find any mention of it anywhere, so I'll assume this is the first.
The apples smoked were a blend of Red Delicious, Newtown Pippens, and Golden Delicious. I gave little thought to what apples were used, as I figured the smoke would overwhelm what ever nuances of flavor each apple offered. The smoke did not let down.
I pressed what fruit I had, and only ended up with about 1/4 gallon. I could blend two ways. A light blend would ensure the smoke would come through, while a heavy blend would allow me to end up with more volume, but sacrifice the point. I blended light, and only ended up with two gallons. But....the flavor was there.
I am very happy with the result. Was it perfect? No. I was glad it wasn't, a perfect batch is boring. I got an amazing amount of feed back from the customers that got some tonight.
I heard that it:
: needed to be served with cheese
: tasted like bacon
: tasted better when blended with JK Scrumpy
: was too strong
: was not strong enough
: was kick ass
: would go well with salami
: would blend well with Rum
: was interesting.......

That was the best I could of heard...it was interesting.  For me that is the best compliment I can hear.
The next batch will be bigger, tweaked a tad, and more.......interesting. Different wood, different smoker, and aged longer.
Any maybe the next one will last longer than 45 minutes after it's tapped.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting was always my mums word for something she didn't really like but wanted to spare their feelings; "Hummm interesting"

    I, however, think the idea of smoked cider is great though. I'd love to try some. I've only been brewing cider for a year but thought I'd try to smoke some within the next few years.
    I take it your down south somewhere. Can I get hold of you smoked cider up here in the North - north yorkshire - or is it just a local brew?

    Cheers
    Rich

    ReplyDelete