Sunday, April 3, 2011

Late Night Musings

I am fortunate enough to be up all night, enjoying my neighbors raging indoor / outdoor party. They are musicians, and love to play until the wee hours of the morning. I am so glad that they tuned in on my ability to survive without any sleep. What a bunch of good people.
It gives me time to write a little about our next batch. First off, it's gonna be small. We only received 2000 pounds of fruit. I know it sounds like a lot, and it is. That being said, it will only yield us 60-80 gallons, hopefully. Getting a large amount of fruit in April is tough.
The make up is pretty varied. We got a lot of Newton Pippen, Winesap, Granny Smith, and also got smaller quantities of Ambrosia, Sonata, Mutsu, Elstar, Golden Delicious, and even some dreaded Red Delicious.  We got more varieties than last time, so it may end up being quite a bit different.
I am also planning on changing it up a bit. We are going to use a different yeast strain, and try fermenting at a colder temperature. I am hoping to bring the fruit out more, and experiment in making a slightly sweeter style.
All of the fruit is sitting behind our infamous fence, and we plan on starting up in a week or so. This will be our first production with our new grinder and press. The first press was entirely manual. We used our arm powered grinder to grind about 2700 pounds. About half way through, I was pretty sure my arms were going to fall off. I vowed to use the modern invention "electricity" for any further batches.
I look at being able to serve this new batch around July. Most of it will be pretty straight, but I plan on blending some more smoked cider, in addition to some other ideas I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment